Before being rules, etiquette and inseparable corporate communication should be evidence of attention and delicacy. Despite the emergence of a new for everything related to human resources, we have to face the facts: the company in a world where economic liberalism has led to a liberalism of uses giving free rein to a relaxed attitude claimed in human relations.
The revalorization of the role of the entrepreneur, the search for increasingly “senior” executives, the metamorphosis of secretaries in “assistants” and housekeepers from offices in “surface technicians”, do not mean raised the level of courtesy. The conclusion is clear: the company is badly brought up! There’s an urgent need for a business ethics course.
Would it be at this famous juncture that we owe the growth of a new professional social class,
that of business hicks? Coming from all walks of life, they are found everywhere. The most elegant president of a prestigious multinational company can be infected with the virus and any trace of education will vanish. Uprightness makes us forget the basic rudiments education; the power turns into muzzle, the media create megalos, and all this plunges us into a curious atmosphere of relational to the detriment of basic principles of courteous behavior.
Importance of corporate rules in business
The ethics is not done as earlier than morality must not be done. The company is an ill-defined social body if it does not obey any rules of individual behavior. Today extremely composite, this professional body is constituted on the one hand, heirs of these gentlemen the “rounds of leather” expensive at the end of the nineteenth century that persist and sign, indifferent to computers that rub shoulders with their inkwells and on the other hand, a new generation that bathes in a corporate culture without territorial limits, without technical constraints and for whom human resources are managed like the rest, with the snatch.
Many companies adopt regulations in their business. The terms “shop rules, policy, directive, standard or rule” are also used to identify a business regulation. For the purpose of this text, we only use the term “regulation”.
Usefulness of company regulations.
– Ensure the employer’s smooth running of the company;
– Specify the expectations of the employer in the exercise of his right to stewardship;
– Mark certain behaviors or attitudes of employees.
– The right of management or management right of the employer is clearly recognized in law.
Limitations of company regulations
The right of direction that an employer has is not unlimited. This right is framed by certain limits that may be legal or conventional.
1. Legal limits. Several laws contain mandatory or public policy provisions that supervise or limit the exercise of the management rights of an employer.
2. The conventional limits. The provisions of a collective agreement or decree generally certain stewardship rights of an employer. The clause recognizing an employer its right of direction is usually subject to several other provisions of collective agreement that limit this right.
A regulation adopted unilaterally by the employer may not modify a provision of the collective agreement. In case of divergence, the agreement collective takes precedence. Moreover, if the regulation is attached to the collective agreement as an appendix, it is an integral part and becomes obligatory. In an individual employment contract, the employer may agree to limit some of his rights with respect to the employees covered by this contract.
Situations that can be covered by corporate rules
Generally the corporate rules serve to assume the proper functioning of the enterprise, or to define or specify expected behavior on the part of employees.
The regulation may in particular:
– Clarify the attitude of employees towards customers;
– Specify the expected behavior of employees towards the representatives of the employer;
– Specify the expected behavior of employees towards other employees of the company.
It may also provide for specific penalties for non-compliance with an obligation or prohibition.
The subjects that can be covered by a company rules and regulations are many and may vary depending on the nature of the business activities. Here are some examples of regulations applicable in various companies.
· Health and security at work
· Dress code
· Use of corporate assets
· Harassment in the workplace
· Tobacco use
· Alcohol or drug use
· Work attendance
· Reimbursement of expenses
· Driving of vehicles
A business regulation is an important tool for running a business.
Such a regulation can cover a wide range of topics.
The employer has a great deal of flexibility in deciding to put in place a regulation,
but in such a case, it is absolutely necessary to respect the basic rules for
the establishment and application of the regulation.
N.B. Our employment law department is able to assist you in the
setting up or updating your business regulations.
The preceding text is not a legal opinion, but a newsletter.